USC alumna Kim Kircher named LAUSD’s 2021-2022 Rookie of the Year

Kim Kircher

Kircher credits lessons learned at USC Rossier in preparing her for this honor

Growing up, Kim Kircher could always count on her teachers to be advocates, motivators and her biggest cheerleaders. While her upbringing was unconventional, she gravitated towards teachers who provided support and a strong sense of community. “I found school to be a safe haven for me. As I grew older, I always knew I wanted to do something that helped others, but didn’t know which direction I wanted to go in. I went into teaching because I wanted to provide to others what my teachers had given me,” Kircher said. In striving to be the kind of teacher who supported her on her own path, Kircher took the skills that she learned at USC Rossier and applied them in the classroom to become one of Los Angeles Unified School District’s (LAUSD) 2021-2022 Rookie of the Year recipients. She was among 17 first-year district teachers recognized for their commitment to education.  

Kircher came to USC Rossier’s Master of Arts in Teach (MAT) program after having worked for about four years in the non-profit sector. She had previously earned a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies from San Francisco State University and had been unsure about her next move in her own career and educational journey. But the prospect of being able to guide young learners was always on her mind. Kircher knew that she wanted to attend a reputable university with a strong network of alumni and practitioners, which is why she chose USC.

Read Kim’s Story